If you’ve been charged with a DWI in New Hampshire, this is probably your first DWI offense. If so, you probably don’t know a lot concerning what you’re about to face. The laws are a complex web that is difficult to decipher for the average person. It is a charge that likely has brought a considerable amount of stress to your life, and justifiably so. DWI is a serious criminal offense which should be taken seriously. It is a crime that crosses all age, social and economic boundaries, and for that reason it is often said that a DWI is the one crime that turns non-criminals into criminals instantly. The fact is, New Hampshire has strict DWI laws and they are enforced aggressively. As a national barometer, MADD ranks New Hampshire as having the 9th strictest laws in the country. Because of the complexity and breadth of the laws, the practice of DWI law has emerged as a highly specialized area of practice across the country. DWI attorneys are well versed in their local laws and need to maintain a high level of scientific knowledge in order to defend cases effectively. It is in your best interest to contact a skilled local DWI attorney to help you with your case. You’ll be provided with a free consultation, a game plan for moving forward, and a lot of peace of mind.
The law in New Hampshire states that it is illegal to operate a vehicle while under the influence of alcohol, drugs or both. The state can prosecute this in two different ways. The first is by invoking New Hampshire’s ‘per se’ law, which dictates arrest for anyone driving with a blood alcohol level of .08 or higher. Note that this method has nothing to do with your driving, so if you are stopped for a burned out tail light and end up failing a breath test because you know you aren’t drunk and you’re just on the way home, you’ll be arrested. You can also be charged if the officer believes that you are unable to safely control your vehicle due to intoxication from alcohol or drugs. The officer will use observations of your driving, your physical looks (red eyes, disheveled), and possibly even field sobriety tests. Usually if the situation progresses far enough that you’re asked to perform sobriety tests, it has already been decided you will probably be arrested.
Your DWI attorney will represent you in your administrative case hearing where you will contest the suspension of your license. He will ascertain that you were pulled over legally, that the breath machine was calibrated correctly, and that the officer was well trained in the exact administration of the sobriety tests as required by the National Highway Transportation and Safety Administration. Simultaneously your criminal court case will commence. This case will determine jail time, fines and any remedial alcohol education programs.
A DWI conviction can affect your family and even your job. It is imperative that you protect your rights and fight your case with the best representation possible. A skilled local DWI attorney from New Hampshire will offer you a free consultation to discuss your case. Don’t take a chance on your future.
If you are arrested outside your home state, be sure to ask your attorney how this law will impact you.
• Incarceration –up to 6 months jail
• Fines – up to $750 plus court costs
• License Suspension – 9 months to 2 years; reinstatement fee $50
• Education - complete Impaired Driver Intervention Program at your expense, $310
• Insurance – SR22 high-risk driver insurance required for 3 years; necessary before license reinstatement
• Possible reimbursement - of $10,000 in DWI related costs to public agencies or 500 hours community service
ADDITIONAL COSTS AND CONSEQUENCES
• Bail – set by the court, required for release
• Towing – tow fee $75 to $100 plus additional fee for daily storage
• Insurance – you will be designated as a high risk driver and your insurance will increase significantly. Expect your rates to double or more.
• Record – DUI conviction will remain on driving record permanently
• Employment – offender may lose time off work and possibly even their job.
• Immigration and travel – restrictions can apply with certain convictions
Additional offenses and considerations will bring significantly higher penalties. Don’t take a chance with your freedom. It is highly recommended that you contact a qualified DUI attorney right away for a FREE CONSULTATION on your case. our case CAN be won with the right representation.